I’m pretty sure this is something that we all suffer with and if you don’t then you are incredibly lucky. My internal chatter has been pretty loud of late, it’s something that I am incredibly aware of and have been for a long time because of my OCD. Anyone with OCD will have a very loud internal chatterbox, it’s so hard to escape the noise inside your own head!
I have become pretty good at quietening mine down with practice over time. Nowadays I try to speak more positively to myself, I have become very aware of my pessimistic, glass half empty attitude so I have been pro actively trying to be more positive and change my natural thinking patterns. I have been being pretty successful and have had some really great days but one place I don’t seem able to tune out the negative chatter is at work.
I went back to work about 5 months ago after having my second child. Whilst I was off there have been a lot of changes to the way we work and I am struggling to keep up with the pace (or so my mind keeps telling me), my boss is amazing and all the stress is self imposed but I can’t seem to get myself out of this hate cycle where I just think I can’t do my job anymore even though I’ve been there for nearly 9 years now! I have HUGE episodes of impostor syndrome where I just feel like everyone thinks I’m ridiculous and can’t do my job and the amount of times I thought about leaving as surely someones going to notice I can’t do my job at some point soon anyway!
I have made such huge strides forwards in my personal life and OCD recovery but work wise I just can’t seem to think positively. It’s a huge vicious circle as well, as the time I spend worrying I’m not actually focusing on work!
So what to do about all this? It’s a good question, I think to start a list of all the reasons to give myself a break and be a bit kinder to myself:
- I’ve had 2 babies in the last 3 years and have had two years off work, its going to take a bit of time to get back up to speed
- I only work part time now and don’t have the same amount of time to commit to work anymore
- You’ve done your job for 9 years, you are able to do it
- All the pressure is self imposed and is only coming from you
- If you focus your mind on the new work rather then worrying about it you will be able to do it quicker – stop worrying, start doing
- Be realistic about what is possible and stop trying to be perfect, you’re not going to keep up with the 18 years old’s who have all the time in the world!
- Try to add in some daily relaxation
- Be kind to yourself
- Use positive affirmations – you can do it.
I’m pretty sure if one of my friends came and talked to me about the same situation I would tell them to be a lot kinder to themselves and stop expecting perfection. Why are we so hard on ourselves?
Hopefully I can put some of this plan into action and start enjoying work again soon! I hope some of this is helpful to others out there too, we probably all need to be a bit kinder to ourselves.
Happy new year all (can I still say that or is the 16th too late?), here’s to a fab 2020, and as always,
Stay Strong xxx